Modern Foreign Languages - Key Stage 2
Learning a foreign language can help to widen a child’s horizons and foster an interest in other places and cultures. Our children will have the opportunity to learn a range of Modern Foreign Languages during Key Stage 2 including French, Italian, Chinese, Spanish and Japanese laying the foundations for further MFL learning in Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4.
The pupils will have the opportunity to:
- Listen to, join in and respond to the spoken word;
- Explore patterns and sounds of a foreign language;
- Engage in conversations, ask and answer questions and express opinions;
- Speak in full sentences;
- Develop pronunciation and accent skills;
- Read and write a range of words and phrases;
- Listen to rhymes and stories in other languages;
- Expand their vocabulary through independent research;
- Learn words and phrases;
- Understand basic grammar;
- Investigate languages that use a different alphabet or way of scribing e.g. Chinese and Japanese.